Is your child’s behaviour and/or emotions worrying you and you’re not sure just how worried you need to be?
Child Therapy South Devon can help you.
My name is Chrissie Moulder, I am a fully qualified and experienced Play Therapist, a Certified Foundational Theraplay Practitioner and I have nearly 20 years experience working with children and families. Six of these years I spent working in Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) in the NHS as a children’s mental health worker. Over the last few years I have been working with adoptive families and children who have experienced high levels of trauma early on in their lives and I have completed some training in Theraplay and DDP (Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy). If you would like to learn more about me please go to About Me.
I can offer support with emotional and behavioural issues that children and teens may be experiencing. Here is a list of the issues that I have helped clients with:
- Attachment difficulties
- Angry, aggressive or destructive outbursts
- Developmental trauma
- Bereavement and loss issues
- A lack of confidence, low self esteem
- Difficulties with the parent-child relationship
- Shyness, unusually quiet or withdrawal
- Low mood, easily tearful, concerns about depression
- Self-harming behaviours (e.g. cutting, head banging, substance misuse)
- Traumatic incidents (e.g. a car crash, child abuse, domestic abuse)
- The effects of divorce or separation
- Bullying (children who bully and those who are on the receiving end of these behaviours)
- Children affected by illness, or the illness of a parent or sibling
- Sleep problems
- Issues around eating
- Anxiety, fear, phobia or obsessive/repeated behaviours
- Not achieving/developing at the same pace as peers
- Difficulty making or keeping friends
- Behaviour difficulties at home, school or both
- Soiling/toileting difficulties
- School has expressed concerns
Child Therapy South Devon offers one-off consultations and on-going sessions.
One-off consultations offer parents/carers the opportunity to ‘check in’ with a qualified and experienced young people’s therapist. It is possible to use this appointment in many ways: you may wish to share your concerns with a professional and to decide together whether there is an issue that needs addressing or not; to think through new ways of responding to your child’s behaviour/emotions; to explore what could be at the root of the issue; to gain a better idea of your child’s inner world; to receive some suggestions of books, web sites or other places for further information to help you and your family; or simply to off-load your concerns and your struggles.
In this one-off consultation I will be happy to suggest other agencies I know of that may be of help, including those that are free of charge, and to discuss the referral routes to these services.
Child Therapy South Devon’s hope is that by the end of this consultation you will feel better equipped to decide whether or not you need to proceed any further with getting support for your child, and if you do wish to proceed further, that you know the options that are available to you and how to pursue these.
If after this initial consultation you think that you, your child, teen or family would benefit from further sessions, Child Therapy South Devon is able to offer the following:
- Therapeutic parenting support and strategies
- Individual therapy for children and teenagers
- Play Therapy (particularly useful for children aged approximately 3 to 12 years)
- Theraplay-based interventions (an Attachment-based intervention)
- Joint sessions with parent/s and their child or teen
- Guidance for parents/carers to learn how to use Child-Centred Play with their children (this on its own may be enough to solve some issues)
- Support for organisations and individuals working in the children’s workforce
Child Therapy South Devon also offers consultations to professionals who are working with children and families. Please click here For Organisations/Professionals to read more about this service.
I cannot guarantee to have all the answers, but I am sure that by bringing together your knowledge of your child with my knowledge and experience of child development and child psychology, we can improve the quality of life for your child/family and help you feel more confident about how to respond to the challenges of being a parent.
If there is a way in which you’re wondering if I can help that is not mentioned on this page please do contact me to discuss things further.
I am a full Member of BAPT, The British Society of Play Therapists, and have a current DBS check (this is the old CRB or police check that people must have in order to work with children).
I believe that children aren’t a mystery and that childhood is not a battleground. Put plainly, my mission is to help adults to help children to thrive.
Chrissie is a registered Play Therapist, Certified Foundational Theraplay Practitioner and Qualified TRE Practitioner. Sessions are usually held at Hannahs, at Seale-Hayne near Newton Abbot. She can be contacted on 0784
0069075 or childtherapysouthdevon